Thursday, June 23, 2005

BarBri on the Brain

BarBri has pushed me over the edge and I can never go back.

Today, it was about 30 degrees in the library I study in, so after carving my initials into my table with my nipples, in protest of the cold, I decided to go home and study.

When I started my car, whatever radio station was on was doing one of those "Wacky News" segments. Apparantly some woman in Kentucky (wait... let me finish) is suing a radio station down there for money she claims she won in a contest. The contest prize, according to her, was $100,000. According to the radio station it was "A Hundred Grand..." as in the candy bar.

Instead of just laughing at the kooky inbred woman from Kentucky, I immediately and completely impulsively began analyzing the issues of this suit.

I got so caught up in it, waiting at a red light, that I didn't notice the light had changed until the car behind me honked. "The audacity of that guy," I thought about the guy who honked. "If I don't figure this out, that radio station is gonna screw that nice lady."

But then I got to thinking... "Well, what did she have to do to win the money? 'Cuz if it was something really silly, than she should have reasonably believed that the contest may be a joke. Was there a disclaimer? Probably not, if the radio station thought the contest was too ridiculous to even warrant a disclaimer. And how long has this contest been going on for? Maybe it's something they do every morning."

BEEP!BEEP! Another honk, this time because I didn't notice the "left turn" light I was now sitting at had changed in my favor. But who has time to pay attention to things like traffic lights, when radio stations across the country are in danger of being hauled into court on frivolous complaints, if I don't figure out a way to beat this money grubbing bitch from Kentucky.

I actually got mad at the radio station I was listening to because in the end, the only conclusion I could come to was "How the EFF does this radio station expect me to resolve this on just these facts?!"

Does this happen to anybody else?

I constantly find myself eavesdropping on strangers' conversations on the train and in restaurants, and creating legal issues from them - and contemplating the rule and the exception to them, then defenses. I fear it's only a matter of time before I turn around in my seat, a la Wilson from "Home Improvements," and say suggestively to a total stranger, "You know what you should do?"

1 Comments:

Blogger GG said...

Here's the story:

Link

I don't think she can really argue that a few hours of listening to the radio is sufficient reliance to justify the $100K. And what a bitch for turning down the $5K they offered her -- that was pretty damn nice in my opinion.

Plus, any jackass who would buy a minivan doesn't deserve shit.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home