Tuesday, June 14, 2005

To The Guys That Work Out At My Gym:

That's not a growth on my shoulder.

It's my neck. And I rather enjoy having it.

I appreciate your concern for my bod, but I'm not interested in having yours. Please stop interupting my workout to offer me advice on how my workout can be changed, so I will look more like you. I'm just here to work out little bit, to blow off some steam, and to lose a few bad pounds and gain a few good ones, before I go on vacation at the end of this summer.

I'm not interested in "pushing it," my plans don't involve ever "maxing out," and I'm already "breathing." If I was interested in working out like you do, I'd start by waxing my chest, and developing really bad back acne... or in some cases, I'd staple a shag carpet to my back... then I could also get "PAIN" tattooed on my knuckles, to match your tattoos.

I'm not interested in what supplements you take... herbal or otherwise.

If I interrupted your workout to tell you, "Hey, if you lift a little less weight, do a few more reps, and stretch a little more, your form might improve, and you might not sound like you're making love to the weights in a manner that would make Tommy Lee blush, everytime you exhale," you'd think I was an asshole.

If you want to help someone, go help that guy holding onto the treadmill like it's a mechanical bull. He clearly doesn't know what he's doing... as opposed to me... who just doesn't do what you do.

Unlike you, this is not a lifestyle thing for me. It's just a hobby. And I don't mean that in a slanderous way... I just mean to say that we're different. I take studying as seriously as you take working out. But if I saw you reading a book on the train one day, and I snuck up from behind you, put my index finger against the page, and moved it along as we both read to ourselves, you'd think I was an asshole.

So once again, thanks, but no thanks. I'm not interested in how much more I could be lifting by the end of the summer, if I do what you say. I'm not interested in how much bigger your workout will make me.

But most of all, I just like having a neck.

3 Comments:

Blogger GG said...

It's refreshing to know they bug the guys as well, and not just the women ("no I'm NOT interested in the workout tips you're giving as an excuse to strike up a conversation with me.")

I just keep my headphones on and if anybody talks to me, point at them and pretend I can't hear.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Jerk said...

The "I'm-sorry-I-can't-hear-you" point is never not funny to see.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps they're just trying to pick you up?

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home